History of Bandar Anzali:
Anzali is an old city in ancient Iran, they are related to Kadusin, owing to their pleasant relationship with Cyprus and their cooperation in battles, they changed their name to Anzan (Anshan-e Pars), which Greeks called Anzaluy. This word In Pahlavi language means Anzalag and the Arabic form of it is Anzalaj. Anzali Gulf was a safe harbour for trade ships and fishing boats. It was renamed to Pahlavi in 1935.
In 1919, with the collapse of General Anton Denikin’s White Russian army, eighteen of his ships sought refuge in Anzali. On 18 May 1920, a Soviet flotilla of thirteen ships launched a surprise attack on Anzali, capturing the British garrison and the eighteen White Russian ships. This allowed for the establishment of the short-lived Persian Socialist Republic and the Persian Communist Party. Soviet authorities denied responsibility for the attack, blaming the local Russian naval commander for attacking under his own authority.
Its wonderful lagoon, Customs and City Hall edifice (Shahrdari), Mian Poshte Palace and Motamedi Edifice, are its tourist attractions. Until 1980, when it was moved to Noshahr, Anzali was the site of the Caspian University of Naval Science. The structure Of Naser-al-din Shah Place which was built by Moayer-ol-mamalekk and its famous Sangi Bath was destroyed by people and natural factors.
A wonder of Sangi Bath was the system of heating and durability water in its basins. Some groups think that Motamedi edifice had been changed; it is now its police office. This Ghajar Structure built in two floors with the help of Mirza Abd-ol-Vahab.
overing an area of approximately 438,000 square kilometers, it is the world’s largest land-locked body of water or lake. It spreads between Iran, Russia, Turkamenistan, Qazaqistan and Azarbayjan. Its southern shores belonging to Iran are from the Makhtoom Ali Bay to Astara. ‘Heerkany’ is Khazar’s ancient name and foreign maps and books also called it the ‘Caspian’. Its shores are shallow and sandy. The average depth in the northern section is 6 m. and a maximum of 1,000 m. in the south and south west.
One of the most important clefts in the southern parts of the Caspian Sea is the Anzali Wetland, located to the south west of the Caspian, and the Mian Kaleh Peninsula which is seperated from the Caspian Sea by the Qazian and Gorgan Bays. These are amongst the famous attractions of Gilan and the Mazandaran provinces.
The Caspian Sea consists of three main sectors named as, the northern, central and southern. Its shores cover a distance of more than 6,380 m. of which about 657 m. beginning from Astara to the delta of the Attrak River is in the realm of Iran. The calm blue sea forms the northern view, and the dense forests covering the foot of the northern Alborz Mountains forms the southern landscape. The surrounding shores are covered by paddy fields, plantations and citrus orchards which create a wonderful scenery. As far as tourism is concerned, it comprises of active and semi-active areas.
Parts of the eastern and the central shores are the main areas of tourist attractions. Other parts such as Talesh and the Astara coast are the semi-active areas. Being far from the cities and industrial establishments, the sandy shores and natural landscapes form a healthier environment in comparison to other coastal areas.